Reducing Your Workload with Fractional Executive Assistants with Valerie Trapunsky
Dec 30, 2021
Whenever we pursue our entrepreneurial dreams, there’s always that administrative work that gets in the way of our management. Instead of focusing on building your business for growth opportunities, you spend a significant amount of time with micro-specialized work. By hiring an assistant to assist you, you can drive your business forward and navigate through the redundant tasks that dim your entrepreneurial passion.
In this episode, Valerie Trapunsky, the CEO and founder of ChatterBoss, shares the importance of hiring an assistant.
She talks about why successful people need to hire assistants for their businesses to thrive. Finally, she explains the responsibilities that hired assistants may offer to ease your business processes.
If you’re interested in learning the advantages of hiring an assistant, this episode is for you!
Three reasons why you should listen to the full episode:
- Discover the importance of hiring an assistant.
- Learn how ChatterBoss helps in assisting administrative burden.
- Find out more about how you can effectively delegate tasks to your assistants.
Valerie’s Early Career
- As a former personal assistant and a Chief of Staff, she has worked with A-list celebrities and high-net individuals.
- Through her observation, she learned that successful people always had at least two assistants of distinct skill sets.
- With her entrepreneurial passion and niche, she took the experience and offered it to business owners.
- Her team provides the best medium for individuals when working with EAs and the Chief of Staff.
Building Staff Support for Clients
- Business owners burden themselves with administrative work. Seeking help from assistants could ease their trouble of doing micro-specialized tasks.
- What Valerie’s team does is pair entrepreneurs to an on-demand executive assistant that matches their personality and character.
- The hired executive assistant does the majority of the work. If the assistant needs support, the additional team members would assist.
- Valerie bills her clients by the hour. Once her clients register an app portal, they could monitor the progress of the project in real-time.
- The minimum time for staff support is five hours per month.
Valerie: “Even if you are handing off one small task that takes an hour, there is consistency. We are continuing to stay in contact with you. Then, we are designed to grow with you.”
Executive Assistant: Levels of Support
- ChatterBoss has three levels of support; partner-level, pro-level, and admin-level.
- The partner-level support is a do-it-for-you solution. You place your full trust in the assistant in doing the work.
- The pro-level support is a do-it-with-you solution. The assistant and business owner work side by side to fulfill the task.
- The idea of admin-support is to delegate tasks for assistants who are best suited to do them at the lowest price point.
- During the onboarding process, they review the specific needs of a business to determine the levels of delegation.
Compatible Pairing with Hired Assistants
- ChatterBoss uses sophisticated technology to perform character assessments for business owners and assistants.
- A business owner will be paired up with an assistant according to their compatibility.
Action Plan for Task Delegation
- There are aspects that cause stress in a business operation, and task delegation is usually an unacknowledged problem.
- Valerie’s team observes the priorities of the business and creates a strategic plan with the delegation coaches.
- From the strategy session, the business owner must be clear with the tasks before entrusting them to their assistants.
- Within a week of the plan, the entrepreneur will guarantee a six-month road plan for the business.
- The session is a step-by-step process to ensure it’s not overwhelming for entrepreneurs.
Transparency of the SOPs
- The clients receive full visibility of the operating procedures when hiring an assistant.
- The SOPs serve two purposes.
- Firstly, the SOPs act as a contract between you and the assistant. As you communicate your needs, the assistant would record them as their SOPs.
- Secondly, you’ll be warranted a backup assistant just in case your assistant is unavailable. The SOPs are their reference to produce a standard quality of work.
- Clients are advised to frequently review the SOPs to avoid misunderstanding.
Hiring an Assistant to the Business
- Valerie’s ultimate goal is to perform for entrepreneurs and business owners with the highest level of integrity and keep their businesses moving.
- Clients can directly hire the assistant to their team if both parties agree with the decision.
Valerie: “If the assistant wants, and you want to work together, yes, there's opportunity for that, and we will help facilitate that.”
- The bought-out assistant still has networking access to ChatterBoss.
- All of their assistants at the partner and the pro-level are US-based. At their admin level, they have an office in Cape Town, South Africa.
- Valerie believes that your dedicated assistant should be in the same country as you.
Demographic of ChatterBoss
- ChatterBoss attracts a healthy mix of firm sizes.
- For smaller firms, the assistant is usually the first individual they receive support from.
- As companies grow, they expand their teams of assistants.
- Sometimes, hiring and depending on a single full-time person is impractical and risky because a business operation tends to stop when they’re out.
Moshe: “I think that it's extremely powerful to empower just a line member of your staff to offload the tasks that they don't need to be performing.”
Integrating Technology into ChatterBoss
- The assistants can plug into the software the clients are using.
- For CRM and bookkeeping, the learning curve is not high especially when they’ve used other software.
- In terms of licensing and getting access to the software, they may have one login for multiple individuals, depending on the client’s software license.
Valerie: “The idea is that you can treat these team members the way that you would an internal team member.”
- Individual emails, calendars, and scheduling coincide with one another in project management.
- You can assign your least favorite tasks to your hired assistants while focusing on the work that you enjoy doing.
- Hired assistants don’t necessarily need to be specialists in bookkeeping.
- Non-specialized assistants can do tasks such as invoice payments.
- A specialized assistant can have access to a client’s QuickBooks or P&L to support the financial structure of the business.
Valerie: “Sometimes, it is an executive assistant that has a background in bookkeeping, and that works really nice. Now, they will not be a tax specialist, but it will be good enough for you guys to do all of the day-to-day.”
- It’s extremely important to update your books regardless of tax questions.
Project-based Work in Law Firms
- Most organizations will have a project management system. However, some founders or CEOs are not on top of them.
- The role of the assistant is to participate in the system by keeping an agenda and updating the follow-ups to strive the business forward.
- An assistant secures extra insurance for team members to keep track of deadlines and proactively communicate time organization.
Benefits of Hiring an Assistant
- Assisting should undergo a step-by-step process. Valerie believes that it’s best to start with one or two tasks before advancing forward.
- SOPs are essential to ease backup assistance.
- The partnerships and external sources from Valerie’s team are sufficient to provide full assisting support for clients.
- The company has a vendor list of all the individuals they’ve worked with that the assistants have rated well.
Valerie: “[Regarding vendor list] It just cuts down the time and also the risk that you're not going to go with the right vendor."
Valerie’s Preference for Systems
- As part of their tech stack, a client gets access to one password and shares it in a safe way.
- The team creates a Monday.com board for their clients to interact with their assistants.
- TimeCamp is a time tracker used to record the activities of the assistants.
- Filtering email inboxes can prevent the possibility of missing important messages.
Pricing for ChatterBoss Assistance
- Listen to the podcast to learn the pricing for each assistant level.
- During the onboarding strategy session, the coaches will recommend the level that caters to the work delegation.
- A client may set a budget, and Valerie’s team will lay out what they can expect from it.
About ChatterBoss Assistants
- Sometimes, an assistant may prefer a salary increase when working separately from ChatterBoss.
- ChatterBoss may help in providing ideal solutions that will benefit both parties.
Valerie: “One of our core values is transparency, and for that reason, we've kind of put all of our cards on the table both for the entrepreneur and for the assistant.”
- The assistants are 1099 contractors. The success of the company has been pairing up both assistants and clients that yield mutually beneficial relationships.
- As clients, you may offer additional incentives for assistants whom they believe provide good work.
- Clients have unlimited access to the client success team when they need additional brainstorming strategies.
Valerie Trapunsky is a former Chief of Staff and Personal Assistant to A-List celebrities, C-Suite executives, and high-net-worth individuals. After spending 7+ years working as a top-level personal assistant, she discovered that she could bring the same level of excellent service to individuals, entrepreneurs, and small business owners. This is the foundation that ChatterBoss is built on with its assistants.
As a CEO and founder of ChatterBoss, she’s passionate about assisting customer needs through smart systems, smart technology, and most important of all — smart people. Her team has built a product clients can trust to reliably deliver instant, personalized, and thoughtful service.
To learn more about Valerie and her work with executive assistants, visit her Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, and the ChatterBoss website.
Enjoyed this Episode?
Business owners achieve success through a balance of sacrifice, timing, and smart decision-making. If you enjoyed this episode of Profit With Law, be sure to subscribe and share it with your friends!
Write us a review and share it! If you enjoyed tuning in, do not hesitate to leave us a review. You can also share this with your friends and colleagues! Help them streamline their operations and alter their approach to law firm marketing.
Have any questions? You can contact me through Facebook and LinkedIn. To request a show topic, recommend a guest, or ask a question for the show, please email [email protected].
For more episode updates, visit my website. You can also tune in on Apple Podcasts.